Yoga for Arthritis
30-Hour YA & NETA Certified
Continuing Education Teacher Training & Advanced Yoga Studies
Download Application Form
Yoga for Arthritis was developed at a leading research university by an interdisciplinary team of medical and healing professionals, including rheumatologists, psychologists, public health researchers, and yoga therapists. Combining ancient yoga practices with modern medical knowledge, this program offers modifications for addressing the unique abilities and limitations of persons with rheumatoid arthritis and/or osteoarthritis. In a seven-year randomized clinical trail, program participation was associated with improved arthritis symptoms, disease biomarkers, physical fitness, psychological functioning, and quality of life.
The mission of this training program is to qualify yoga teachers to safely and effectively impart rigorously researched yoga practices, with individually-tailored modifications, to those with arthritis and its related conditions.
Yoga teachers who participate successfully in this course will receive a certificate of completion, student and teacher manuals for implementing the Yoga for Arthritis program (a 16-class structure) in their local communities, and access to an online community devoted to Yoga for Arthritis Intensive graduates. Completion also qualifies a participant for up to 30 hours of Yoga Alliance and NETA continuing education credits.
As a result of taking this program, the program participants will be able to:
- Understand the basic differences between rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis
- Offer modifications for persons with arthritis attending their Yoga classes
- Teach Yoga for Arthritis classes in their communities
- Work individually with arthritic clients of all ability levels
- Dr. Steffany Moonaz received her 200-hour yoga teacher training at Yogaville® in 2003, followed by a 500-hour program in yoga therapy at Yama Studios in Baltimore, MD. Through her research, funded by the National Institutes of Health and the Arthritis Foundation, she worked to develop and evaluate a yoga program specifically for the arthritis population. She has presented her research at the American College of Rheumatology, The American Public Health Association, Harvard Medical School, Johns Hopkins University, and NIH. As an athlete and dancer, she has always wanted to bring the gift of joyful movement to persons with chronic pain.
For the past decade, Dr. Steffany Moonaz has been using the tools of yoga to improve quality of life and aspects of health for people living with arthritis. She has worked with an interdisciplinary team of medical and healing professionals including rheumatologists, psychologists, public health researchers, and yoga therapists at an internationally recognized research university to investigate this growing area of interest.
The culmination of her doctoral research was the development of a sixteen-class series that combines ancient yoga practices and modern medical knowledge to address the unique abilities and limitations of individuals with rheumatoid and/or osteoarthritis. Yoga teachers participating in this 30-hour program (for Yoga Alliance CEUs) will be exposed to a broad view of life with arthritis, and how the many tools of yoga can be applied to improve quality of life for the growing number of people who are face the challenges of arthritis symptoms. Teachers will receive manuals containing sixteen classes of poses and modification for use in their local communities. After teaching for one year, instructors are eligible to attend a 20-hour refresher course and become Certified YFA teachers, endorsed by the Arthritis Foundation.
The Green Lotus 30-hour Yoga for Arthritis training will be held over a weekend. Hours are as follows:
- Friday, 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Saturday, 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Sunday, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
There will be time for breaks and meals during the training. No make-up sessions will be available. If students cannot be in attendance for the entire weekend schedule, they will be able to complete the requirements the next time the training is held.
The fee for this training is $595 plus a $40 material fee. Register now.
Licensed by the State of Minnesota
Download Application Form
This Training Applies to our 500-Hour Advanced Teacher Training Program.