The Poetry of Guatemala:
Retreat into Yoga and Reflection
March 28 - April 6, 2019
This retreat with leaders Marcia Appel and Merry Beth Freienmuth centers on yoga, rest, and reflection spiced with camaraderie and enjoyment. The sumptuous eco resort Villa Sumaya, perched on Lake Atitlan, will be our home for most of this nine-day journey. It invites you to enjoy its purely simple and well-appointed private rooms, lush natural gardens and spacious grounds, wide-angle views of the lake and nearby volcano, body work, ceremonies and other activities. When we arrive in Guatemala City, we will acclimate the first two days in Antigua - the country's first capital and a walkable small city renowned for its architecture, history, and culture. Interspersed among periods of yoga, meditation, and excursions will be poetry readings and discussions, if you wish to join, from two of Guatemala's most beloved poets.
Your 9-day retreat includes:
- Ground and water transportation to Antigua on March 28 and to Villa Sumaya on March 30 and April 6 return to Guatemala City
- Two nights' lodging with breakfasts at our Antigua hotel
- Three daily wholesome, well-presented vegetarian meals at Villa Sumaya. Chicken and fish are optional at an additional charge
- Two daily yoga classes and one daily meditation practice; two water aerobics classes and two tai chi classes
- Thatched-roof studio with mats, props, hardwood floors and panoramic views to practice in
- Traditional Mayan Fire Protection Ceremony
- Optional group excursions
- Group tipping including for transportation and included activities
Cost A $500 deposit will hold your space.
- Double Occupancy (2 twin beds or 1 queen) $1995/ea
- Single Occupancy (2 twin beds or 1 queen) $2395
- Double Occupancy – Suite (king bed) $2195/ea
The remaining balance is due January 15, 2019. Contact our front desk if you have any questions. We hope you will accompany us on this dream trip.
Not Included in your retreat fee:
- Airfare to Guatemala City
- Lunch and dinners outside Villa Sumaya, alcohol and other special drinks
- Additional excursions
- Body work, extra services, and personal tipping for services and staff
Refunds and Cancellations: You will get $450 returned if cancelled by 9/30/18; $250 returned if cancelled by 11/30/18. No refunds after 11/30/18 unless we can re-sell the spot. Then, all but $250 will be returned.